Current drafts (at various stages of completion, from good-to-go, to sketches/handouts).
NOVEMBER 2018: The links below are currently not working—I am in the process of updating them to PhilArchive pages. Thank you for bearing with me through this process.
Indeterminacy (etc) and belief (etc):
- Incomplete fictions
- Classical indeterminacy
- A non-pragmatic dominance argument for conditionalization
- Inconceivable indeterminacy (in preparation).
Conditionals and related issues
- Counterfactual desire as belief
- Tenable conditionals
- Suppositions, revisions and decisions (with Daniel Elstein)
Foundations of semantics
- State vs. stage interpretationism (in preparation).
- Source intentionality (in preparation).
- What we talk about when we talk about talking about. (in preparation).
- Commitment Issues in the naive theory of belief.
No longer in progress:
- Reference magnets (this is a over-long paper from which the shorter piece on Lewis on eligibility and reference was drawn. The non-overlapping material is going to be developed in another format.)
- Medicinal supertasks, Bernadete cases, and the principle of sufficient reason
- Aristotelian indeterminacy and the open future (the material has been developed in other places, e.g. “Classical indeterminacy”)
- Indeterminate Survival (this material has now been developed as “Decision-making under indeterminacy)
- Emergence, Supervenience and Indeterminacy (no longer in progress)
- On Sider on naturalness (no longer in progress)
- Counterepistemic conditionals and probability (no longer in progress)
Slides from talks—often early versions of papers:
- Hermeneutic Platonism. (from 2006, written for a workshop on neoFregeanism)
- Semantics for nihilists (from 2007—very initial stages for what turned into “Fundamental and derivative truths”)
- Fundamental and derivative truths (focusing on metasemantics) (2007)—for a workshop in Oslo, a snapshot of the paper of the same name.
- Vagueness in the world (2009—draws on material from “A theory of metaphysical indeterminacy)
- A graphical guide to “Gradational accuracy and non-classical semantics”. (2009)—presented in various papers, a pictoral guide to Joyce’s accuracy-domination theorem, in the context of discussing non-classical variants.
- Decisions and Suppositions. (Presenting part of the Elstein joint paper).
- Tenable conditionals. (For a talk in London in 2010).
- Comments on Fine’s “An abstract characterization of the determinate/determinable distinction”. (for a workshop in Oxford in 2011)
- Counterfactual triviality. (For a talk in Rutgers, for the paper of the same name).
- Intrinsic Survival. (For a logic and metaphysics talk in London in 2009(?) early version of what became “Part intrinsicality”)
- The cognitive role of indeterminacy. (2009: a talk I was giving in several places in different versions, including ANU and Barcelona. It fissioned into various papers, including “Indeterminacy and normative silence”).
- Reference magnetism. (2011, For talks in St Andrews and London. Basically presents the material in “Lewis on reference and eligibility).
- The metaphysics of radical interpretation. (2009, For a talk at a Manchester conference on fictionalism. Develops one of the chapters of my thesis that hasn’t seen the light of day as a paper yet.).
- Decision making under indeterminacy. (2011, For the Formal Epistemology Workshop. This summarizes the part of the paper of the same name that doesn’t overlap “indeterminate survival: by degrees”.
- Comments on Schiffer on Vagueness. (For a workshop on Schiffer at Humboldt University, Berlin).